The Atlantic selected their best albums of 2021. Here are the pop and hip-hop albums that made the list, in no particular order.
- Tyler, the Creator, Call Me If You Get Lost is a traveler’s soundtrack. DJ Drama brings back the “Gangsta Grillz” feel as Tyler mumbles about money, relationships, and getting old. Best track: “Massa.”
- My personal favorite is Lorde’s Solar Power. For that album, we find Lorde tapping into beach girl vibes and her happy place. Best track: “Secrets For A Girl (Whose Seen It All).”
- Rod Wave: Soul Fly. Rod Wave intertwines sadness with soul and the substance in Soul Fly is evident in every song. The deluxe version gave fans nine bonus tracks, but the best track goes to “OMDB.”
- Jazmine Sullivan: Heaux Tales is an album that has gotten rotation the entire year. Jazmine redefines what it looks like for women to get money while getting what they want romantically. Best Track: “The Other Side.”
- iLoveMakonnen came out with My Parade. This album crosses genres, with hints of country, hip-hop and what The Atlantic writer Spencer Kornhaber says is “Andrew Lloyd Webber–core“. Best Track: “2Sexy.”
What was your favorite album of 2021?
Check out the whole list here.
Source: The Atlantic