As cold and flu season approaches, it’s good to get an extra immunity boost where we can. Foods that are full of vitamins and minerals can help keep us healthy and help us get better quickly if we do get sick.
According to Huff Post, nutritionists recommend loading up on these immune-boosting fall foods:
- Pumpkin – It’s packed with vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant to fight off illness, and vitamin A, which enhances immune function, according to registered dietitian Maggie Michalczyk.
- Honey – It contains a range of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and antioxidants, plus it’s a natural cough soother and it pairs well with other immunity-boosting ingredients like citrus, ginger, and green tea.
- Cauliflower – This veggie can be turned into pizza, rice, and roasted with other vegetables and it’s high in antioxidants, which fight inflammation and protect against illness, and it’s another great source of vitamin C.
- Acorn squash – They’re delicious and loaded with calcium, potassium, beta-carotene, and vitamin A.
- Apples – Thanks to all the fiber, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin K, manganese, and B vitamins, apples are great for the immune system.
- Pears – Another good source of immune-boosting vitamin C, pears also contain pectin, a fiber that nourishes healthy gut bacteria and research shows pectin may help regulate the immune system.
Source: Huff Post