You all know I am on my journey to health with Profile by Sandford. Well I came across this article this week and I found it educational and I thought you would too. We rely on peels, serums and moisturizers to give us younger-looking skin, but it turns out what we eat can have a major impact on our complexions. Sure, we’re all getting older every day, but research shows that some of the vitamins, minerals and other substances in foods may help slow down the process a little. To give your skin a boost, dietitians recommend starting your day with these anti-aging breakfast foods.
- Fruit smoothie – Break out the blender because registered dietitian Shena Jaramillo says fruit smoothies are full of antioxidants that can fight off damage to the skin from free radicals.
- Avocado – It’s not only delicious, the avocado is a good source of monounsaturated fatty acids, which studies have shown can protect the skin from premature aging.
- Chia seed pudding – Chia seeds are loaded with omega 3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation as well as help skin stay hydrated, which is key to keeping it looking youthful and radiant.
- Eggs – They’re high in vitamin D, which helps protect the skin against sun damage, as well as protein and people who eat diets low in protein have been shown to have “more appearance of wrinkles,” explains registered dietitian Colleen Christensen.
- Tofu scramble – For the vegans, swapping the eggs for tofu is still a complexion booster. Tofu is high in protein and soy isoflavones, which research shows may significantly reduce wrinkles and improve skin elasticity.
- Tomato – The lycopene in them has an anti-inflammatory effect and tomatoes are also rich in B vitamins, which research finds may reduce sun damage, age spots, wrinkles and fine lines.
- Blueberries – Toss them in your oats or yogurt because they’re bursting with polyphenols, which may help prevent early signs of skin aging.