Fads and styles from the past tend to come back around if you wait long enough. It happens all the time in fashion, like the bucket hat and slip dress that were popular in decades past became cool once again over the summer. And it happens with hair and makeup styles, too. Makeup artists and hairstylists predict these retro looks from the ‘90s will be big in 2021, so get your lip liner ready.
- The mullet – The often-teased hairstyle with short hair in the front and sides and longer length in back is a look that people are surprisingly rockin’ once again.
- The shag – Another retro hair trend, this one is similar to the mullet, but with less of a contrast between the front and back. Miley Cyrus has been wearing one recently and it seems the style is catching on again.
- Big bangs – For the last few months, bangs have become more popular and well-known hairstylist Sally Hershberger predicts the trend will continue, with the 2021 version being all about the volume.
- High contrast hair color – Since quarantine started in the spring, people have been experimenting more with hair colors and pro colorist Jeremy Tardo predicts the style called color blocking back in the ‘90s will be big in 2021. Think big sections of bright colors contrasting with dark colors, like we’ve seen on Billie Eilish and Dua Lipa.
- The dark lip – Get ready for the return of dark lipstick, with brown lip liner and all.
- Cat-wing liner – Celebs like Airana Grande are now sporting the ‘90s eyeliner look that was a favorite of Madonna’s back in the day.
- Thin brows – Brace yourself, after years of big arches being the thing, makeup artist Erin Parsons predicts the skinny brow is making a comeback. She’s been working with model Bella Hadid recently, who now has “delicately done and not overly pencil-thin” brows.
- Smudged eye makeup – Well be seeing a lot of ‘90s-style smudgy, smoky black eye makeup, according to celebrity makeup artist Gucci Westman. She recommends pairing it with dusty, matte pink shades on lips and cheeks for a fresh look.
- Hair accessories – Those butterfly clips, hair pins and cute barrettes all nineties girls remember are back and if you want to sport the style, Etsy has them all.