Work in the medical field? This Charlotte medical profession is the highest paid in the country! Doctors are some of the highest-paid people in the U.S. As they should be, with all the life-saving they do. How much doctors make varies a lot depending on their specialty and where they practice. And new research reveals which doctors are being paid the most.
- According to the Physician Compensation Report, the average annual compensation for doctors is around $400-thousand.
- The metro area with the highest average compensation for doctors is our hometown of Charlotte, North Carolina, at $430,890. Coming in second is St. Louis, Missouri, at $426,370, followed by Oklahoma City at $425,096.
- The Metro area where doctors make the least is Washington, D.C., where the average compensation is $342,139.
- Surgeons make up most of the highest-paid specialties, with neurosurgeons making the most money at an average of $788-thousand.
- At the bottom of the list are pediatric endocrinologists, who average $218-thousand, making them the lowest paid specialty.
We really do have great doctors here in the Queen City! Novant and Atrium Health are filled with professionals who people travel from all over the country to visit.
The Top 7 Highest-Paid Specialties in the U.S.
(Check out the full list here)
- Neurosurgery ($788,313)
- Thoracic Surgery ($706,775)
- Orthopaedic Surgery ($624,043)
- Plastic Surgery ($571,373)
- Vascular Surgery ($557,632)
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery ($556,642)
- Radiation Oncology ($547,026)
- Cardiology ($544,201)
- Urology ($505,745)
- Radiology ($503,564)
Congrats to an all-women team of surgeons! According to Good Morning America, the team that performed a heart transplant in California was led by Dr. Amy Fiedler. She is an attending cardiac surgeon and assistant professor at the University of California, San Francisco. The six other healthcare professionals were also women. And that five-hour procedure made history as the first all-women team to perform a heart transplant on a woman.