I have been working from home a lot during the pandemic and I can understand why some people don’t want to return to the office. If you are a multi-tasker working from home is amazing! Folding laundry between video meetings is where it’s out!
I know I’m not alone… A lot of people have been working from home for the past almost two years, and while they may have been hesitant at first, many have grown to like it, which is why it isn’t much of a surprise to hear most are choosing not to go back to the office.
A new Pew Research poll finds:
- 59% of workers who say their job can be done remotely say they are working from home either all or most of the time.
- But while in the early stages of the pandemic working from home was a necessity, more people now are doing it by choice.
- In fact, 61% of people who have a workplace outside of their home are choosing to stay home.
- Only 38% are working from home because of a closed or unavailable office.
As for reasons folks are still working from home…
- Only 42% say it’s due to concerns about being exposed to COVID, down from 57% in 2020.
- 76% say it’s because they prefer working from home, up from 60% in 2020.
- 17% say it’s because they relocated away from where they work, up from 9% in 2020.
Another reason folks want to stay home, is simply because it’s working better for them.
- 64% of those who are now working from home at least some of the time, report a better work/life balance.
- 44% say it’s been easier to get their work done and meet deadlines, with only 10% saying it’s harder.
- On the downside, 60% say they do feel less connected to co-workers since working from home.
Source: Pew Research