If July 4th tells us anything is that Americans love fireworks, and according to a new report, some states love them more than others. South Carolina is on the list!
According to a 2020 ValuePenguin study:
The United States spent about $319,270,828 on fireworks in total.
Missouri, Mississippi, Ohio, Alabama and South Carolina spend the most on fireworks, between $51.1 Million to $18.9 Million.
On a per capita basis, Missouri, Alabama, Kansas, Wyoming and South Carolina top the nation for firework use.
Of course, fireworks can be dangerous, and the report finds:
- 26.2% of annual firework-related injuries and ER visits occur on July 4th.
- Injuries increase by 538% on July 4th vs. July 3rd.
- 42% of July 4th firework-related injuries happen to Americans under the age of 20.
- 32% happen to children under the age of ten.
- 57% of Fourth of July fireworks injuries happen to men.