Getting a massage is supposed to be relaxing. That’s really the entire point. Truth be told I hate massages. I can’t relax at all. My wife gets them all the time and loves them. Do you know what you should and shouldn’t do during a massage? Like, you’re lying on a massage table with only a sheet between you and a virtual stranger who’s putting their hands all over you. That can be uncomfortable, making it hard to feel calm.
To help you and your therapist have the best experience possible, the Huff Post found what they recommend you do before your appointment.
Here’s some advice on what you should and shouldn’t do during a massage
- Be honest about your medical history – The spa will probably ask you to fill out a form before the massage. There’s a good reason for this, and you don’t want to lie. With some conditions, certain kinds of treatment should be avoided. People on blood thinners can bruise more easily, so deep tissue massage could lead to bruising.
- Wear the right undergarments – Typically, it’s okay to wear, or not wear, anything you’re comfortable in when you get a massage. But you want to think about the way it can affect the massage. Michael Jones, a pain-reduction massage therapist, explains that when “clients wear undergarments covering areas they want to be massaged, like the lower back, he can’t access those areas. When moving body parts and working with oil, too many undergarments can get in the way. So think about the undies you wear before you go to the appointment.
- Take a pre-shower – No one wants to give a rub down to a client who’s stinky with body odor. So try to make time to shower beforehand, or at the very least, make sure you’re wearing deodorant.
- Don’t be late – This throws off the schedule, plus, it’s just rude.
- Communicate with your massage therapist – They want you to feel comfortable and walk away happy, so be clear about what you’re okay with and what’s off-limits, as well as how much pressure you like.
- Don’t show up stressed – Try to be relaxed when you arrive so you get the most out of it. Go to the bathroom so you don’t have to mid-massage and take some deep breaths to get into a more zen state.