Bebe Rexha: Man Who Threw Phone ‘Thought It Would Be Funny’
Bebe Rexha’s assailant, a man who threw his phone at the singer, is admitting he did it to “be funny.” As we previously reported, the 33-year-old “I’m Good (Blue)” singer was struck in the head by a flying cell phone tossed from the crowd at her concert in Lower Manhattan Sunday night (June 18). Footage shared to social media reveals a phone emerging from the crowd and hitting Rexha in the face. She then collapsed to her knees to the stage floor. Crew members are seen rushing out to help her.
Bebe Rexha gets hit by phone in the face on stage pic.twitter.com/AJ1Xj7NtfR— Daily Loud (@DailyLoud) June 19, 2023
27-year-old concertgoer, Nicolas Malvagna, has since been charged with two counts of assault in the three degree, one count of harassment in the second degree, one count of aggravated harassment in the second degree, and one count of attempted assault in the third degree, per BBC. The Manhattan District Attorney’s office said Malvagna confessed to throwing the phone. He told a police officer at the scene, “I was trying to see if I could hit her with the phone at the end of the show because it would be funny.”
Meanwhile, Rexha was removed by EMS to an area hospital in stable condition that night. The phone struck Rexha in the upper left cheek, right below her eye. The concert was cut short after she was taken to the hospital to be evaluated. With fans unsure if the musician would continue performing the remaining dates of her “Best F’n Night of My Life” tour, Rexha took to TikTok to reassure them she is doing okay. Rexha sings the lyrics to her song in deadpan: “I’m good, yeah, I’m feeling alright.” She is seen wearing sunglasses at first, then reveals her bruised eye with medical bandages across her eyebrow. She then gives the camera a forced smile in the five-second-long clip.
Malvagna is due back in court on July 1. Rexha is due to perform today at The Fillmore in Philadelphia and will bring her tour to the UK in July.