LauRen Is Headed To Italy Without Dallas
Traveling overseas this summer? I am. Next week I am headed to Italy to see my former Aupair and best friend Elena. Sounds cool right? That’s not even the best part… I’M GOING BY MYSELF! I have never taken a solo vacation before. I am so excited but Maney thinks it’s weird that I am going alone. He thinks international memories should be made together as a couple.
Now it’s not like I do this all the time… I have been married to my husband for 12 years and together for 15 years and I have never done anything like this before.
Well if you are traveling this summer internationally ( with or without your significant other) here are some of the 7 deadly sins Americans make abroad according to Lifehacker.
Don’t be that stereotypical American tourist who everyone makes fun of, please!
- Expecting things to be like America. Not every country puts ice in their drinks or tells strangers their life story.
- Not trying to speak the local language (a little). Don’t assume that everyone speaks English.
- Dressing stupid. Don’t dress immodestly if you’re in a religious country. Don’t wear neon in black-clothing filled Paris.
- Being confrontational. You can get stressed not knowing the language or customs of a different country but rise to the challenge instead of fighting it.
- Not being flexible. Being too rigid will keep you from new experiences.
- Not learning basic customs. You don’t need to know everything but knowing to take your shoes off when you enter someone’s house in Japan is common courtesy.
- Believing stereotypes about other people. Be open to the unexpected, including local people you may meet.