When you think of power couples, Olympic couples probably don’t come to mind. Instead, famous pairs like Jay-Z and Beyonce or Gisele and Tom Brady may come to mind. But there are actually some Olympian couples competing in Beijing who are dating, engaged, or married. These are some Winter Olympics duos setting a new standard for what makes a power couple.
- Mikaela Shiffrin and Aleksander Aamodt Kilde – Both alpine skiers, Mikaela competes for Team USA and Aleksander is a member of Norway’s Olympic team. After knowing each other for years, they started dating in 2020 when he reached out to her following the tragic death of her father.
- Misato Komatsubara and Tim Koleto – These Team Japan skaters met through skating together and tied the knot in 2017. They helped Japan win a team bronze medal at the Beijing Games with their free dance.
- Hailey Langland and Red Gerard – The snowboarders met when they were just 12 and started dating at age 17, just weeks before competing for Team USA in the 2018 Olympics. Now they’re returning for their second Games as a couple.
- Madison Chock and Evan Bates – They met through ice dancing and knew each other for years before they became a couple in 2017. This is their third Olympics skating together for Team USA and second as a couple and they already helped secure a team silver medal for their free dance in Beijing.
- Emily Sweeney and Dominik Fischaller – Emily’s an American luge racer and her longtime boyfriend is a luger for Italy. So far at these Games, Fischaller has won a bronze medal in the men’s singles luge.
- Kim Meylemans and Nicole Silveira – These skeleton sliders compete alongside each other, Kim for Belgium and Nicole for Brazil. They met three years ago at the World Cup and made their relationship Instagram official in 2021.
- Miriam Ziegler and Severin Kiefer – This pair of Austrian figure skaters are partners both on and off the ice and this is their third Olympics skating together.
- Brett Gallant and Jocelyn Peterman – These Canadian curlers met when they played on the same team in 2016, started dating soon after, and now they’re engaged.
Talk about couple goals! Those who compete together, stay together!