One of the golden rules of marriage should be don’t leave the cars blocked in on E! If you listen to our show then you know my husband Dallas and I were in a typical marriage tiff about cars this morning. He blocked my car in then got mad at me for taking his car at 5 am. So I felt like Your Tango was speaking to me today when I saw this article!
How do you make your relationship work? Turns out, some popular clichés offer solid advice in this department. Common phrases you’ve heard all your life get repeated a lot because they work and they can be applied to romantic relationships as well.
These platitudes are considered “golden rules” of marriage by couples who stay together:
- Mind your manners – No one wants to feel like they’re being taken for granted and saying “please,” “thank you,” and “you’re welcome” to your partner on a regular basis will help keep them from feeling that way.
- Variety is the spice of life – It’s easy to get stuck in a routine, but after a while, that can lead to feeling dissatisfied with a relationship. So shake things up, keep them fresh and continue experiencing new things as a couple to keep you feeling close.
- The couple that plays together stays together – While it’s healthy to have interests outside of your partners, it’s also good for couples to find a sport or hobby they both love to get out and enjoy together. And no, watching TV doesn’t count, but hiking, cooking, and traveling do.
- Fight right – All couples fight at some point, but playing by the rules is important. That means no name-calling, letting the other person finish their sentences, and taking a break from the disagreement when things get really heated.
- I’ll scratch your back if you scratch mine – Compromises help things run smoothly in relationships, so if you want your S.O. to do something you’re not sure they’ll agree to, try to sweeten the deal for them.
- Distance makes the heart grow fonder – Maintaining your own friendships and occasionally going out without your partner is actually great for your relationship. It not only gives your sweetie a chance to miss you, it strengthens your bond with your besties, who will still be there for you if your romance doesn’t work out.
- Keep your eyes on the prize – That phrase “don’t sweat the small stuff “works here too because it’s all about focusing on the goal, which is to be in a happy, healthy relationship. And sometimes that means letting those little annoying things go.
Source: Your Tango