The Guardian revealed that a new survey conducted by the online secondhand marketplace Vinted found that 1 in 6 people are planning to give “preloved only” this Christmas. The good news is that everything “vintage” is totally in. You can really strike gold with second-hand if you’re willing to take the time to find that perfect gift for someone.
Before you go crazy raiding your house for things that are of no use to you anymore though, here are some rules to consider when gifting second-hand items:
- Tell the truth. You don’t have to shout from the rooftops that your gift is second-hand, but be honest and open about where it came from.
- Stay on message. A handpicked vintage gift can be a treasure so take advantage to personalize and customize your gift boosting it’s sentimental value.
- Make sure it looks the part. Ensure that the quality still remains in your gift whether it’s furniture, clothes, or toys. Although it isn’t new, the person receiving the gift will want it to feel as new to them as possible.
- Regifting is NOT second-hand and it’s frowned upon. There are certain things that should never be regifted— like that old pair of boots hiding in your closet! But items like jewelry or art could be great gifts for someone else.
- Think about the presentation. Package and wrap your gift as if it’s brand new.
Source: The Guardian