When it comes to your children, we know that keeping them safe is a top priority. We have partnered with Safe Kids Charlotte Mecklenburg and Once Upon a Child to provide some tips and topics that are relevant to keep your little ones safe in their day-to-day life.
Toys and games are tons of fun for kids and adults. Whether your kids are working on a puzzle, playing with building blocks, or even inventing their own games, here are some toy safety tips to help them stay safer and have a blast.
The Hard Facts about Toy Safety
- In 2016, 174,100 children under the age of 15 years were seen in emergency departments for toy-related injuries.
- That’s 477 kids every day. Almost half of those injured were children 5 and under.
Top Tips about Toy Safety
- Consider your child’s age when purchasing a toy or game. Read the instructions and warning labels to make sure the toy is just right for your child.
- Check to make sure there aren’t any small parts or other potential choking hazards before you settle on the perfect toy.
- Separate toys by age and keep a special eye on small game pieces that may be a choking hazard for young children. Toys intended for older children may pose a risk to younger, curious siblings.
- Use a bin or container to store toys when playtime is over. Make sure there are no holes or hinges that could catch little fingers.