October is breast cancer awareness month, and while the disease can hit women of any age, and according to SWNS Digital, there are a lot of gals who don’t actually realize that, and aren’t doing much to prevent it.
A new survey finds:
- Half of all women say they do not regularly check themselves for signs of breast cancer.
- What’s more, a quarter of women under 40 have never checked themselves for breast cancer.
- Even if they do check themselves, 25% say they aren’t confident they know what they are looking for.
- 10% don’t check themselves out of fear of finding a lump.
- 7% of women don’t feel comfortable checking themselves for cultural reasons.
- Overall, 14% of women say they never check themselves for indicators of breast cancer, such as lumps or changes to their breasts.
- Of the 83% who do, 19% admit they aren’t sure what they are looking for.
- 10% of women don’t think they are old enough to get breast cancer.
- One-third of all women think you can only get breast cancer in your 50s.
- A little less than a third think they are too “flat-chested” to get breast cancer.
Source: SWNS Digital