Obviously, there are manyyyyy iconic romantic comedies. So many, in fact, that ranking them is impossible…almost. Independent has attempted to rank the top 34, and I’ve got their top 10 right here. But, before you look at their rankings, you should know that they used very specific criteria for what makes a romantic comedy:
- must build up to a “final rush of feeling” which ends with a kiss
- must primarily center around the romantic relationship in the plot
- doesn’t necessarily follow all “good filmmaking” rules
Movies on the whole list include Crazy Rich Asians, Pretty Woman, Boomerang, Moonstruck, Roman Holiday, Bridget Jones Diary, Love Actually, 13 Going On 30, and 500 Days of Summer.
But the Top 10 is below:
10. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)
9. The Apartment (1960)
8. My Best Friend’s Wedding (1997)
7. Notting Hill (1999)
6. Groundhog Day (1993)
5. Say Anything… (1989)
4. The Philadelphia Story (1940)
3. Annie Hall (1977)
2. You’ve Got Mail (1998)
1. When Harry Met Sally (1989)
View the whole list from Independent here.
Did your favorite romantic comedies make the list? What would you put at number one?