Fireworks To Blame For Local House Fire
It’s the scene many fear on July 4th and one of the reasons fireworks laws exist. Fireworks are to blame for a Charlotte-area house fire last night. Officials say that improperly disposed of fireworks started a fire that damaged two homes. The fire, which took place in Northwest Charlotte on Oakshire Circle off of Valleydale Road. It was around 1:30 am when the call came in about the blaze.
Update Structure Fire; 800 Block Oakshire Cr; Investigators determined the fire was the result of improperly discarded fireworks; 11 occupants (between 2 different residences) being assisted by @GCRRedCross damage estimates are $80,000 pic.twitter.com/3J71umHvce— Charlotte Fire Dept. (@charlottefire) July 4, 2021
Luckily everyone was able to get out safely. Medics told WSOC that 13 people were evaluated on the scene for smoke inhalation. However, no one was taken to a hospital. 11 people have been displaced by the fire and they are being assisted by the American Red Cross. An improperly disposed firework is believed to have started the fire which caused an estimated $80,000 of damage. If you have or are planning to set off fireworks, they should remain untouched for 20 minutes and then dunked in water before they are thrown out.