Happy PRIDE!!!! June is the nationally recognized month to celebrate the LGBTQIA+ community. It commemorates the Stonewall Uprising of late June 1969. If you’re unfamiliar with Pride month, it’s essentially a time to celebrate, uplift, embrace and empower the members of the LGBTQIA+ community. This video gives a nice background on what it stands for.
Usually, in June, bigger cities like Atlanta, New York City, San Francisco, and Chicago host a Pride parade or festival of some sort. In Charlotte, we celebrate Pride, but this year, organizers have pushed back the start of festivities until later in August.
According to the official Charlotte Pride website, the celebration is usually week-long, but this year is special because the celebration will last nearly four months, from late August until mid-November!!
Here is a simplified schedule:
- August 21-22: Weekend of Service
- September 12: Interfaith Service
- Sept. 17: Pride Night Concert with local LGBTQIA+ artists and entertainers
- Sept. 18: Charlotte Pop-Up Pride Festival
- October (Date TBA): Charlotte Pride Parade
- November 5-7: Reel Out Charlotte: LGBTQIA+ Film Festival
- November 13: Community Empowerment Conference and Job Fair
I’ll be posting more about this throughout the month so keep checking in!