The MRL Morning Show

Weekdays 6:00AM-10:00AM

LOS ANGELES, CA - JULY 14: Razor wire is seen on the Metropolitan Detention Center prison as mass arrests by federal immigration authorities, as ordered by the Trump administration, were supposed to begin in major cities across the nation on July 14, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement was expected to be target hundreds of Angelenos for deportation, plus family members and others they encounter and suspect of being undocumented. The city of Los Angeles declared itself a sanctuary city to reflect its policy since the 1970s of not allowing police to help immigration officials because the city wants its immigrant populations to not be afraid to cooperate with police or call in crimes and emergencies. Elected officials and activists have continued to lash out against the raids. (Photo by David McNew/Getty Images)

Ronnie Long was recently released from prison after spending decades behind bars for a crime he did not commit. He is now suing the city that arrested him, the city of Concord.

Ronnie Long was convicted of rape in the 1970s when he was 21 years old. Since then, he has always maintained his innocence and in August 2020, a federal appeals court agreed. According to a news outlet, the court said that police lied on the stand during the trial in 1976 and his evidence that would have cleared his name of the crime.

Ronnie Long’s conviction was overturned and the now 65-year-old received a pardon from Gov. Roy Cooper back in December 2020.

What does compensation look like for 44 years of being falsely imprisioned? Long received $750,000 in March. Ronnie Long is now suing the City of Concord as well as the detectives who worked on his case and the current and former police chiefs. The City of Concord told the news outlet they cannot comment on pending lawsuits.

Read the full article here.

SOURCE: WNCT