When it comes to your children, we know that keeping them safe is a top priority. We have partnered with Safe Kids Charlotte Mecklenburg and Once Upon a Child to provide some tips and topics that are relevant to keep your little ones safe in their day to day life.
This month’s topic – Firearms. Check out our list below of the Top 10 Firearm Safety Tips for Children.
- Keep guns out of the reach and out of sight of children by storing them securely. Leaving guns unsecured – on a nightstand, table, or another place where a child can gain access – can lead to injuries and fatalities.
- Store guns unloaded and secured with effective, child-resistant gun locks in a locked container out of the reach and sight of children.
- Store ammunition in a separate locked container out of the reach and sight of children.
- Use combination locks and safes, or safes that use fingerprint recognition locks. Keep the combinations carefully hidden.
- When a gun is not being stored, keep it in your immediate possession and control at all times. Otherwise, store the gun unloaded, locked, and separate from ammunition.
- If a visitor has a gun in a backpack, briefcase, handbag, or an unlocked car, provide them with a place to store it securely (locked, unloaded, and separate from ammunition) while they are in your home
- If a family member or loved one is in crisis and may be a risk to themselves or others, consider temporarily removing firearms from your home. Such crises can involve people who are depressed, suicidal, or abusing drugs or alcohol.
- If you decide that you no longer need a gun in your home, dispose of it in a safe way. Consult with local law enforcement on the best way to do so
- Apply similar care to non-powder and air-soft guns including BB guns, paintball guns, and pellet guns. Used improperly, these other kinds of “guns” can cause serious injuries, particularly to the head, neck, abdomen, or eyes.
- Talking to children about gun safety is important, but it is not a substitute for storing guns securely.
Alexis Zarycki is your average girl with the hopes of leaving an everlasting impact on the world. Follow her on Instagram @official_lexpaige