National Geographic came out with their picks for the best destinations in the world for 2021, and now it’s Lonely Planet’s turn! Lonely Planet is a travel guidebook, and it’s a really good one. When I traveled to Thailand a few years ago, I was gifted a Thailand Lonely Planet book and it was life changing! When it comes to traveling, I 100% trust the people behind Lonely Planet…so this list excites me, because while I couldn’t do much traveling in 2020, I plan on traveling as much as I can in 2021…even if that’s road tripping to nearby states.
This year they split their list into three categories…
- Best in Sustainability
- Best in Community
- Best in Diversity
A few things that we found from the list…
- Gothenburg, Sweden topped the Global Destinations Sustainability Index and earned the honor of “Best City Stay”
- Greece is the place you want to go for the Best Food
- For Best in Community, the Invisible Cities tour in the UK was named Best Tour, while Faroe Islands earned the honor of “Best Immersion”
- Gullah Islands, USA landed in the Best in Diversity category, singled out for Best Under-Explored History
- San Diego, California was given props for Best in Cultural Diversity
You can see the complete list here.