During quarantine, I have been trying all kinds of recipes. My husband Dallas just says I’m nesting since I’m pregnant but I wanted to share this easy gem with you. Homemade Chicken Pot Pie…and “it’s easy as pie to make!”
Ingredients and Grocery list:
- 2 pre-cooked chicken breasts, diced into small bite-size pieces. I typically just get a whole roasted chicken and use all the meat.
- Frozen vegetables. They work better than canned, they’re already diced which saves a bunch of time!
- Diced Onion
- Melted butter
- Store-bought pie crust from the freezer section.
- Puff pastry sheets for the top of your pie, so that it is nice and flaky. You will have to cut it down.
- Can of cream of chicken soup
- Salt and pepper
- Thyme, Parsley, Herbs, or just use poultry seasoning
The only real prep necessary is dicing your meat and simmering your onions. Beyond that, it is just throwing it all in to make your filling!
- Start with a medium to large saute pan. Add some butter to it and let it heat up.
- Add your diced onion and allow to soften, then all of your herbs/seasonings, heat.
- Sprinkle in frozen mixed veggies and allow them to soften, break up any stuck together.
- Stir in chicken with all contents.
- Pour cooled mixture in and cook for 10-15 mins
- Take out of the oven and add top crust, just laying the crust to meet the edges.
- Cut X slits on top to allow steam to escape.
- Brush whisked egg on top layer if you’d like it to brown really nicely.
- Bake at 420 degrees for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Let it cool when done for 15 minutes before slicing so it comes out nicely.