We are still under a stay home order as the coronavirus pandemic still has not shown signs of slowing down yet. One of the only reasons we’re allowed to leave our house is to go to the grocery store. And even then, many people try to make each trip to the grocery store last as long as possible to limit their exposure to other people.
One great way to make your groceries last longer is by freezing them! Here are some tips below on how to freeze your produce, and other food so that they will last longer, and taste better.
- Make sure you dry off your fruits and vegetables fully before putting them in the freezer of they will get freezer burn.
- Get as much excess air out of the freezer bags as you can (try zipping the bag halfway, and sucking the air out, then zipping the rest)
- Write the date on the freezer bags you use so you can keep track of how long they have been in the freezer
- When freezing liquids, like smoothies or juices, leave an inch or so of space from the top of your container so it doesn’t overflow.
- If you want to prepare your veggies before freezing them, do this:
- Wash and cut your fruit or veggies in whatever style you will want to consume them in the future
- Spread out on parchment paper on anything flat and place the whole thing uncovered in the freezer for a few hours.
- Transfer produce to a freezer-safe bag for long-term freezer storage.
For more tips on freezing specific foods, CLICK HERE