LauRen’s Top Recommendations For Wine Pairings with Holiday Cookies
You guys know I love my wine, but even though I might not be able to partake this year since I’m pregnant, someone should!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year – the season of Christmas cookies and wine. When you’re enjoying them together, you’ll want to have the right wine for each cookie to bring out the flavors of both.
For a simple cookie, you’ll want an uncomplicated wine to go with it. I suggest pairing sweeter wines with sweeter cookies.
Here are the top recommendations for wines to go with some of your favorite Christmas cookies:
- Almond Crescent Cookies – Something “soft and fruit forward,” like an Italian pinot grigio helps to balance the flavors.
- Butter Cookies – These rich cookies pair perfectly with a crisp, bubbly Prosecco. MY FAV!
- Chocolate Chip Cookies – Keep it simple with a less intense red, like a pinot noir, which has flavors of dark berries and spice that work well with semi-sweet chocolate.
- Gingerbread Cookies – This classic holiday treat goes nicely with a semi-dry Riesling or a seasonal red like Beaujolais Nouveau [[boh-zhuh-LAY new-VOH]], which balances the ginger and molasses flavors of the cookie.
- Chocolate Crinkles – A cabernet sauvignon is an “excellent choice” for pairing with the sweet, rich chocolate.
- Snickerdoodles – Enjoy these tasty cinnamon-spiced cookies with a bubbly Spanish Moscato that will make the cookie seem less sweet.