It can be hard to keep the magic of Christmas alive when your sleuthing spouse keeps digging around to find out what they’ll get to unwrap. And it’s not just the snooping family you need to hide gifts from, porch pirates are on the prowl this time of year, so we have to protect our presents from them too. These tips and tricks may help keep your packages safe before you get them inside.
- Monitor notifications – Sign up for email, text, and app alerts so you know when that package is on its way and you can grab it before anyone else does.
- Use in-store pick up and Amazon lockers – If you’re worried about theft, you can choose in-store pickup at stores including Target, Walmart, and Macy’s, and Amazon Lockers are available in 900 cities with locations ranging from 7-Eleven stores to apartment lobbies.
- Pick up at alternative locations – Delivery carriers can also redirect to alternative locations like stores. FedEx packages can be picked up at FedEx locations and stores including Walgreens. UPS packages can be sent to The UPS Store, CVS or Michaels.
- Ship it to work – Have packages sent to your office if your workplace allows.
- Schedule delivery – FedEx and UPS websites allow you to choose days or time windows that work best for you. That way you’ll be home.
- Once the packages are inside, hide them well – Now that your gifts are safe from porch pirates, you have to keep them safe from your family. Go for unexpected hiding places, like inside suitcases, coolers, empty trash cans, or take them to a friend’s house.