Not that I am any dating app expert (in fact I have never even been on one), but my aupair Elena has asked me for a little advice when using the apps because once she matches she feels like the conversations go no where.
Funny enough, I saw an article by Refinery 29 that gives you the cliff notes to turning those matches into actual dates. If you tend to start conversations with matches with a simple “hey” and they respond with the same, you’re not alone, but it’s time to try a different technique. Experts from the dating apps themselves say this is what you should be doing to turn a match into a real date.
- Actually fill out your bio – You need at least a few lines about yourself to get the conversation flowing. A Tinder spokesperson suggests including some “fun activities” or bars or restaurants you want to try this winter and then letting your match choose one.
- Don’t start with “hey” – Melissa Hobley, Global Chief Marketing Officer at OkCupid says so many people are guilty of sending “hey” as a first message, but it doesn’t make anyone want to engage in a conversation and “actually has an 84% chance of being completely ignored.”
- Be specific – Not sure what to say? Check out their profile and comment on something you like and it may get the ball rolling.
- Make plans soon – “Don’t play by the rules and wait 24, 48 or 72 hours to ask someone out!,” the Tinder spokesperson suggests. “If you’re enjoying the conversation and it’s flowing, throw the rulebook out the window and take a risk — you never know where it may lead you.”
- Name a time and a place – Instead of “do you want to get drinks sometime,” ask if they want to check out a specific place at a certain time.
- Don’t be afraid of a phone call – In a quick five-minute phone call you can set up the details of the date and you’ll get to connect with your match more than you can in a message.
View this post on Instagram
❗️ Welcome to Ideal Matcher, a unique matchmaking service offering single adults the opportunity to be matched with other single adults by answering correctly to the user’s question ????Challenge everyone to match your awesomeness. #swiperight➡️ #answerthequestion ➡️ #match ????Download on App Store & Google Play! www.idealmatcher.com