This story is terribly sad but loving and beautiful at the same time.
A former Vietnam veteran and Purple Heart recipient died last week while saving his granddaughter from a gas explosion. Authorities say 69-year-old Don O’Steen was badly hurt when a lit candle set off a gas explosion in his home.
Despite his injuries, O’Steen grabbed his 3-year-old granddaughter Paetyn and rushed out of the house. O’Steen later died at the hospital after suffering third-degree burns to 70 percent of his body. Paetyn, who was also badly burned, is “healing up wonderfully” according to her parents. O’Steen’s son Brendon wrote that his father “love my daughter unconditionally. And he gave it all for her to live”.
You can see more information on Purple Heart Veterans by clicking here.