We all love celebrating it, but how much do you actually know about Cinco De Mayo? Here are 5 fast facts:
1. Not a celebration of independence
- Mexico’s Independence is actually on September 16th. Cinco De Mayo is the celebration of Mexico’s victory in the battle at Puebla on May 5th, 1862 during the Franco-Mexican war
2. Not a federal holiday in Mexico
- If you’re thinking this day is all about partying, and no working in Mexico, you’re wrong!
3. Roosevelt helped popularize Cinco de Mayo in the U.S.
- While you’re sipping on those margaritas, be sure to toast one out to President Roosevelt!
4. The world’s largest Cinco de Mayo party is NOT in Mexico.
- It’s actually in Los Angelos, California
5. American’s LOVE some tequila!
- According to the Daily Meal, the United States consumes twice as much Tequila as Mexico, where the spirit originated.