Podcasts You Should Be Listening To
Searching for something new to download on your smartphone besides music or the latest app game? Look no more. Podcast may be something to dive into and are easily accessible in iTunes and Soundcloud. Here is a list of podcast for every young adult, from the Youtube fanatic to the murder mystery book lover.
1. If you haven’t heard of Serial, you’ve got a lot of catching up to do. But don’t worry, before you know it you will have listened to all 12 episodes faster than any binge watching session of Netflix. This podcast tells the compelling true life murder mystery of high school senior, Hae Min Lee and her ex-boyfriend, Adnan, who has spent 25 years behind bars for a crime he adamantly denies having part of. Not only do we hear from Adnan’s side of the story, the host and narrator, Sarah Koenig, dives into the trove of court documents and evidence as well as phone interviews with fellow classmates and family friends of both Hae and Adnan.
2. This podcast is far from the normal chit chat about current events. Hosted by Kid Fury and Crissle, The Read, addresses topics ranging from celebrity gossip to race and sexual orientation in a refreshing, yet familiar way. Not only do they discuss hot topics but they also interview guests and give advice to their loyal listeners in their infamous segment ‘listener letters’. It should also be noted that this podcast isn’t family friendly, listen with care.
3. Do you consider yourself knowledgeable about current events? If you do you may want to test your wits by listening to NPRs weekly current events quiz, Wait Wait…Dont Tell Me.
4. Welcome to Night Vale tells the story of a small town through local community announcements via local weather, newscasts, and police department radio. The town is anything but normal, paranormal in its theme, Welcome to Night Vale is the perfect podcast for Sci-Fi fans.
5. Ever wonder what it would be like to hear guys discuss the hit television show, Gilmore Girls? Probably not, but this is exactly what this podcast is about. Two friends, a superfan of the mother daughter dramedy and the other a first time viewer discuss episode plots, favorite scenes, music, and show fun facts about all things Gilmore. The podcast even includes witty banter that Lorelai would approve of. Start listening, you won’t regret it.
6. Grace Helbig is a woman of many jobs. You may know of her as an actress, YouTuber, author, or talk show host but she is also a podcast host. Not Too Deep with Grace Helbig is best described from the host herself. “You know those podcast where famous people recount their lives and careers, and then things get emotional? That is NOT this show! ‘Not Too Deep’ is a ridiculous, silly, and unapologetically superficial interview podcast, that is more about the laffs than about the feels.” – Grace Helbig.
7. Self-explanatory in its title, Stuff You Missed In History Class, teaches you lessons that your history textbooks failed to mention. A must download for those history buffs out there.
8. Named after the popular Robyn song, Call You Girlfriend is a podcast about two long distance BFFs who talk about anything and everything, no topic is untouched. From Lorde lipstick to casual racism, Call Your Girlfriend is a definitely something to listen to.
9. Youtube sensation,Tyler Oakley and his best friend Korey Kuhl talk celebrities, pop culture, and share life stories with listeners every week. If you love Tyler, you’ll need to download this podcast ASAP.
10. NPR devotees are already familiar with this podcast, much like its radio segment on public radio, This American Life, tells the true stories of everyday people in an interesting and thoughtful way.
11. Stuff Mom Never Told You examines all of the topics of womanhood that many women aren’t discussing. The two hosts are dedicated to not only bring these topics to light, but also aim to educate an inform women by researching and detailing topics from many aspects.
12. For fans of all things horror and paranormal: This twice a month podcast narrates the history behind scary stories. With episodes that are under 20 minutes, its a perfect listen for your morning commute.
13. Hosted by two Buzzfeed editors, Internet Explorer is all about weird, inappropriate, and disgusting things found on the internet. If you are known to your friends as the one who takes jokes a little too far, you’ll love this podcast. Proceed with Caution, NOT for young ears.
14. Hosted by the Author of the bestselling book, The Happiness Project, Happier is a self-help podcast seeking to aid listeners in practices, and activities to make life more fufillng and to create a more positive outlook for themselves.
15. If you’re a fan of the aforementioned podcast, The Read, here’s another podcast to add to the mix. Hosted by two Buzzfeed editors, Another Round is centered on race, gender and pop culture.
16. If you long for a good story about all things love this podcast is for you. From triumphs of intimacy to tragic love stories, The Heart, speaks those who have loved and lost.
Now all you have to do is download, sit and listen.